Introduction and Expectations of Coaches
On behalf of the North Edmonton Wizards Board of Executives, parents and especially the players we would like to thank you for stepping up and undertaking the most crucial role within this organization. Coaching is a huge undertaking and the cornerstone of development and the most important job in ensuring the core values be instilled in each player within the organization. The Wizards core value is to instill COURAGE, CONFIDENCE AND CHARACTER in each and every player and most of all for every player to have fun. Remember the 3 Cs as this will aid in the development of these players not only within the game but in life as well. This year the Board has decided, in conjunction with the Coaching Director, to form a committee for the sole purpose of developing our coaches and creating a uniform system to aid in the development and retention of our players. Expectations of each coach within the organization is as follows:
- Some families have more than one child and as a parent/coach there is a mindset that the parent needs to be involved with all of their children's teams. However we all know that if one parent is head coach for more than one team, it may take away from the other players on the team as commitments might now allow the coach to be in two places at once. Therefore, the policy of this club will be that parents can only be a head coach of one team and may act as an assistant on the other team(s) their children are playing on. This will not only help in the development of the other players, but it also takes the pressure off of the coach if they are in an assistant role with the other team(s).
- All coaches are responsible to follow all of the rules and regulations for minor box lacrosse and ensure they meet the proper certifications to be on the bench.
- All coaches will follow the coaching committee guidelines for terminology, and core practice drills; these will be explained later in the book It is to the benefit of the kids for when they move to other divisions and teams so they know basic core drills. It will also help newer coaches when starting out.
- All coaches will be required to fill out an information sheet as well as authorize a background check.
- Most of all, we ask that each coach dedicates himself to enhancing the players experience as this is an integral role in the retention of players.
Once again, we thank you for your dedication and hard work this season and wish you all a successful year.