Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct
The North Edmonton Wizards support and promote the essential elements of fair play. Integrity, Fairness and Respect. Children learn by example. The actions of coaches, officials and parents can affect our children's values, perceptions and behaviour. Our dedication to the essential elements of fair play will encourage our children to develop the positive values which teamwork in sport has to offer. The following principles of fair play apply to all participants:
- Respect the Rules
- Respect the Officials and their decisions
- Respect your opponent
- Give everyone an equal chance to participate
- Maintain your self control at all times
- Be positive! Positive feedback in sports is ESSENTIAL.
The Wizards endorse the following fair play codes for players, coaches and parents to ensure that our community understands these elements, we are requiring that all players, coaches, parents/spectators abide by these governing principles. Failure to do so can lead to an association led investigation and/or disciplinary action, up to and including expulsion from the association.
- I will participate because I want to, not just because my parents or coaches want me to.
- I will play by the rules, and in the spirit of the game.
- I will control my temper - fighting and "mouthing off" can spoil the activity for everyone.
- I will respect my opponents.
- I will do my best to be a true team player.
- I will remember that winning isn't everything - that having fun, improving skills, making friends and doing my best are also important.
- I will acknowledge all good plays/performances - those of my team and of my opponents.
- I will remember that coaches and officials are there to help me. I will accept their decisions and show them respect.
- I will be reasonable when scheduling additional games and practices, remembering that young athletes have other interests and obligations.
- I will teach my athletes to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials and opponents.
- I will ensure that all athletes get equal instruction, support and playing time.
- I will not ridicule or yell at my athletes for making mistakes or for performing poorly. I will remember that children play to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
- I will make sure that equipment and facilities are safe and match the athlete's ages and abilities.
- I will remember that children need a coach they can respect. I will be generous with praise and set a good example.
- I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my coaching skills.
- I will not force my child to participate in sports.
- I will remember that my child plays sports for his or her enjoyment, not for mine.
- I will encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will teach my child that doing one's best is as important as winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game/event.
- I will make my child feel like a winner every time by offering praise for competing fairly and trying hard.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- I will remember that children learn best by example. I will applaud good plays/performances by both my child's team and their opponents.
- I will never question the official's judgement or honesty in public.
- I will support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from children's sporting activities.
- I will respect and show appreciation for the volunteer coaches who give their time to provide sport activities for my child.
- I will remember that children play sports for their enjoyment. They are not playing to entertain me.
- I will not have unrealistic expectations. I will remember that child athletes are not miniature professionals and cannot be judged by professional standards.
- I will respect the officials' decisions and I will encourage participants to do the same.
- I will never ridicule an athlete for making a mistake during a competition. I will give positive comments that motivate and encourage continued effort.
- I will condemn the use of violence in any form and will express my disapproval in an appropriate manner to coaches and league officials.
- I will show respect for my team's opponents, because without them, there would be no game.
- I will not use inappropriate language, nor will I harass athletes, coaches, officials or other spectators.